Saturday 10 January 2015

Book review 4: City of Fallen Angels, Cassandra Clare

City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments #4) by Cassandra Clare

Things to know:

 
  • I read the original English version
  • It was published April 2011
  • It has 424 pages
  • It is set in New York 2007 (6 weeks after book 3)
  • I started: 7th January 2015 and ended it: 8th Jan

I would really advice you to read the Infernal Devices series before you read the book. It is not absolutely needed, but it will make it a better read for you and answers questions like:
Why does Brother Zachariah look different than the other brothers?

or
Who is Will?


After the Mortal War was won thanks to Clary, she came back to New York. Finally she can be together with Jace, which both are enjoying a lot! At the same time her mother and Luke are planning their wedding, Alec and Magnus are travelling together (sending funny photos to Jace) and Simon is dating... both Maia and Isabelle. Everything should be fine, but Jace is having strange dreams which make him distance himself from Clary, Simon has to leave his home, because his mother thinks he is a monster, Jocelyn finds out about a woman who left her child alone in a side street and Alec learns about parts of Magnus's past.



As you might have noticed, there is a lot of messy things going on and nobody is really happy. I was hoping that after book three at least Clary and Jace would have a somewhat stable relationship. But no, they don't. I've read (urban)fantasy novels in which a couple gets together, and then for the following books, is happily together (with normal relationship problems) and these books are still great. There don't always have to be on-off relationships to make a story interesting. Of course, this is my opinion, and I bet there are people around who like these kind of relationship, but making this last over a series as long as this one is making me not want to carry on reading it.



SPOILER STARTS
As I know how book 4 ends, I also know that in book 5 Clary and Jace will still not be happily together, and I really don't want to pick up the book... I have moments like these sometimes, when I think the series or book isn't promising anymore, but it usually doesn't happen in between books.
Spoiler Ends



Excepts for this, it took me a while to get into the book (again), but I mentioned this problem in this series before... 

I don't want to write more at this point, as the novel ends somewhere in the middle of a story.

Lisa~

No comments:

Post a Comment