Monday 26 January 2015

Book review 6: City of Lost Souls, Cassandra Clare

City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments #5) by Cassandra Clare

Things to know:

 
  • I read the original English version
  • It was published May 2012
  • It has 535 pages
  • It is set in New York 2007 (directly after book 4)
  • I started: 8th January 2015 and ended it: 26th Jan


So, first of all, some of you might have noticed how long it took me to read this. For me in 95% of the time you can see how much I like a book on how quickly I get through it... Guess how catching this one was?

Okay, but some contents first. After Jace disappeared with Sebastian, the Clave
prioritize to find Sebastian. Clary and the others found out though, that there is a very strong bond between the two boys, which causes them to feel each others pain meaning; kill one, the other dies too. The Clave would kill either of them just to get rid of Sebastian, after all Jace is only a common Shadowhunter to them.
Then one night Jace and Sebastian turn up in Clary's room and ask her to come with them. Luke gets badly hurt trying to protect Clary and Jocelyn, while Jace and Simon disappear again. At the same time Alec, Magnus, Izabelle, Simon, Maia and Jordan are also trying to find Jace before the Clave does, bending some laws doing so...
After Clary gets a hold on special Fairy rings with which the people wearing them can communicate with each other mentally. She gives one to Simon and then she goes off, and hopes Jace will take her with him, which he does...

Back to my opinion; After I finished book 4, I really didn't want to read the next one, but I gave it a chance reading the first few chapters... At some point I started re-reading some books I loved and read ages ago and only read CoLS on my 10min train ride to uni... And I never really got into the book, it had some interesting moments, but nothing really catchy. I only finished this so "quickly" because I had night-shifts this weekend, and after I finished all my shift tasks I would always read until the next costumer came. And then, finally, the last 3 or 4 chapters were a great read, especially the epilogue was awesome. A lot of things happened, things that actually are interesting to me.
The problem with this series is, that somehow the story turns its self in circles. Clary and Jace are in love, but can't be together, it's boring! Yes, I will read the last book, to finish the story, but I'll take a short break and read the "Bane Chronicles" first, as for now it seems to be more fun :)

Okay, I know, this time I was very negative, but that's just how I read this... I hope this wasn't too bad for you to read.

Lisa~

No comments:

Post a Comment